Most importantly, DO NOT use typical detergents that you might use for regular clothes as these detergents are loaded with very efficient surfactant cleaning agents that strip away the oils and finishes that are important to retain in your down garment. Only use specific down cleaning products such as Nikwax Down Direct.
- Unpack and air dry your down garment after every trip or use
- Do not store your garment stuffed up; only use a stuff sack for it when tripping
- We recommend washing over dry cleaning
- Only use detergent specifically for down cleaning; follow directions
- Close all pockets, zippers and Velcro
- Best to use a washing machine with NO agitator
- Double rinse
- Dry in dryer on low to medium for an hour (or longer with a bigger garment)
- A dryer ball or two can help prevent static and minimize clumping
- Remove and air dry for a day then fluff out by “beating” gently with a broom handle or similar; put back in dryer on low to medium until definitely dry, typically 30 – 45 minutes
- Restore DWR if needed (see DWR section in Care & Feeding)
Spot cleaning can be done with a regular granular detergent made into a grainy paste in your palm and then applied or by using dish detergent; the key is only to use as a spot cleaner on the shell.
Further Advice or Help
Just call us during store hours at 250 814 2575 for further details or advice if needed.